Monday, March 16, 2009

Moviegoing Etiquette

I absolutely love going to the movies, until something like this happens...
Needless to say there are rules about what you can and can not do while
catching a flick.
...

How many seats can I save? It’s simple: You can save one seat for each person in your party who has already purchased a ticket. So, friend in the popcorn line: Yes. Friend en route with Fandango receipt: Yes. Friend who hedged and said she might tag along for Spider-Man 3: No.
Can I text-message if the movie gets dull?
Can you shine a flashlight into the eyes of people behind you? No. Just because something doesn’t make noise doesn’t mean it isn’t incredibly, annoyingly distracting. If you have urgent business to conduct, walk outside.
Do I have to clean up? Tough one. But we side with Jerry Seinfeld on this, who said, “We have a deal with the theaters: You rip us off with overpriced, oversized crap we shouldn’t be eating in the first place, and when I’m done I just open my hand.” That said, don’t be a pig.
Can I talk during the movie? We’d like to say, “No, no, never, no, absolutely not.” But the days of respectful silence are gone. During the pre-film ads, speak as much and as loudly as you like. Whispers and derisive yelps are permissible during trailers. During the feature, you must limit yourself to the occasional whisper. Silence is preferred, but a hushed “Wait—didn’t she die in that car wreck back there?” is okay. There is one exception to these rules: the brilliant, brave comment in the terrible movie. For us, it was at I Know What You Did Last Summer, in a particularly histrionic scene of Jennifer Love Hewitt’s emoting that a guy shouted out “Oscar clip!” and provided the high point of the night.

(article via NYmagazine.com)

4 comments:

Nicole-Lynn said...

Thanks, I always enjoy these :)

Unknown said...

The thing about cleaning up is a tough one. I usually like to clean up wherever I go and once I leave a place in general, for instance in restaurants. But when I went to the theaters with my bf, I didn't know you really don't have to pick up after yourself. I, on the other hand would prefer to, just out of courtesy....

Kate said...

I love that Seinfeld quote. I don't make a huge mess but I do try to put everything in my empty popcorn bag or take my drink with me. ]

I usually choose to sit on the aisle and have no problem letting people by (I hate people who make it a big deal-you CHOSE to sit on the aisle). However I hate when people come in LATE and ask you to move down. I got there early so I could sit in this spot and I am not moving!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Can we please post this at theaters or make movie-goers read a copy and sign that they acknowledge these simple rules? That would be lovely, thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails